Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Victory Korea

I didn't bother to watch the girl bands' World Cup MVs because they look ridiculous on the thumbnails. This one by Super Juniors caught my eyes in the major red outfits and the Dae-Han-Min-Guk wording on their T-shirts. More about what is attractive about the T-shirts after the video:



Dae-Han-Min-Guk is the name of Republic of Korea in their native language. It literally means the "great Korean nation (state)". What intrigues me is the use of Hanja (aka Chinese character 漢字) for the first word "Dae" which means "great". Why not using their hangul (Korean language/alphabet) that they are so proud of consistently in printing/spelling the name? Instead of 대한민국, they use 한민국. Well, actually they do have all-hanja name: 大韓民國. Despites the little mystery in the use of word, I have to say the T-shirt looks very good and I bet my red-color-loving friends would love these T-shirts, or, the tank top XD
Or love it for the sake of Super Juniors, LOL. 


By the way I like the fact that they use their famous "Sorry Sorry" dance moves in this World Cup song (for people who click on the link to watch the MV, prepare your stomach for the pronunciation of the word "Sorry" XD). I can imagine the other girl bands are incorporating their famous dance moves in their World Cup songs as well^^ And yeah, imagine how funny/irony it is: if they lose, they can blame the 'sorry' dance moves that is incorporated into the 'victory' song, hahaha.

I admit that I like the beats of this song but when I attempted to listen to it for the second time I started to find I don't really like it. May be it is because of the typical-all-nation-craze-patriotism portrayal in the first half of the PV that got me, haha.

Okay, now I'm gotta off to study about Korean strategic issues instead of Korean pop culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment